Sunday 16 March 2008

Arrival

Could hardly believe how smoothly the journey went - until we got to Heathrow!

We discovered the plane was heavily overbooked and there was some doubt as to whether we would actually be able to get on the plane or not! In the end, we all got upgraded tickets to "World Traveller Plus" because there was no room left in "World Traveller" (i.e. economy) class - except for David and Paula - our team leader - who we had to leave stranded at the other side of customs waiting to see whether they could find enough room on the plane for them! They were eventually told, with 15 minutes to go before the departure gate closed, that they had found them seats in economy class so they were able to come with us!

When we got to Delhi, after we'd picked up our lugggage I went through customs first to try to find a bank machine while some of the others were cashing travellers cheques on the other side. I was immediately struck by how conspicuous and out of place I felt - it just didn't feel like a western airport and I was obviously someone out of their element who didn't really know what they were doing or where they were going. I needn't have worried. I was offered a taxi ride which I politely refused and was left alone after that. Having failed to withdraw cash from a machine I found our ASHA contact and waited with him until Paula and the others arrived.

Leaving the airport we were first surprised to discover that it was light. We'd landed at 4:55am but by the time we left the airport it was about 6:30 and the sun was coming up. Everything was very dusty. The selection of vehicles we saw was very different from what I'm used to. They mostly looked very old-fashioned - from the taxis to the military truck that rolled by. We all stood on the corner outside the airport waiting for our guides to re-appear with transport. There are 14 of us - 4 guys and 10 womeon - and we were obviously beginning to attract some attention, particularly from some young men who had begun to congregate around us.

The guides re-appeared with a couple of minibuses and a man appeared and offered to take my luggage. I assumed he was a member of Asha staff and gave him my case and rucksack which he proceeded to load onto the minibus. He then re-appeared and demanded that I tip him! I then discovered he wasn't Asha staff at all, he was one of the young men who'd gathered. Others were also trying to load up our luggage for us, sometimes in spite of protests, in the hope of making some quick cash. I gave in and gave the guy a pound coin - I didn't have much else in my pocket - and he promptly demanded another one! I should've refused straight away but I felt a bit flummoxed and unused to all of this! I asked Paula for help, who was also busy being hassled, and then turned the guy down politely but firmly!

On the way from the airport to the YMCA where we were to stay for the 2 weeks, I was struggling to keep my eyes open after such a long journey and no sleep so wasn't able to fully take in my surroundings. What I did see reminded me a little of Turkey though - wide roads, lots of construction, but everything very dusty and a lot of it looking quite dilapidated - although more so than Turkey I thought. I didn't notice any beggars and was disappointed not to see a single cow as these have sacred status in India and I was told to expect to see them in lots of random places e.g. the middle of the road.

No comments: